Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day 2010

So, Election Day 2010 is well underway. I don't think I've seen this much talk about/excietment about voting even in the presidential election two years ago. And certainly not for mid-term elections. That is probably a bad sign, since people are so fired up it means there is a lot wrong that they want to change :-/
I got up early this morning so I could get my voting done before work. Success! The line was actually much shorter then I expected, but I bet a lot of people are waiting till after work (polls are open 7am to 8pm). There were, however, a lot of young people there this morning. When I say young, I mean my age, the 20 somethings. I almost am cynical enough to this this Prop 19 (legalize pot) is only on the ballot to attract the young and get them motivated to vote on all the other things while they're here. lol. It could be true. I know that I voted yes to legalize....it just makes sense. Heck, both mom and dad told me to vote yes! But I have a feeling even if it passes, they'll find a way to reverse it. Like they're done with Prop 8 (leaglize gay marriage) for years now. Frustrating but true.
Overall, I was pretty overwhelmed with this ballot. There was voting for the senate, voting for our house reps, voting for the all the California offices (governer, controler, DA, etc.), voting for federal judges, and voting for local government in LA....and that was just the "people" portion. We then had several propositions to vote on as well. I was exhausted when I walked out...it was just too much all at once, and I felt guilty not knowing a lot about everyone. I had my position on the props down, but there were just too many people for too many job titles to count. We'll see how this turns out tonight.

No comments: