Monday, December 4, 2006

Washington DC here we come......maybe

Well, this weekend was definitely filled with adventure and intrigue. OK, not intrigue, but it was a lot of fun. Saturday started off with the plan of Emily and I going to DC to do a homework assignment she had for Art History. Didn't go as planned when her fam needed her to figure out the "new car" situation and we had to scrap that idea. But success came later that night (after she got this really awesome white Ford car, very very nice) and we got in some Tower shopping and saw The Nativity with two of her friends, Jenny and Aaron :-) After the movie we hit up Silver Diner for ice cream and a post-movie breakdown. Jenny and Aaron are awesome! Em had Nacho Libre with her and so we went back to her place, put in the movie, and promptly fell asleep in the middle of it (LOL). The parts I saw looked really funny, so I'll probably go rent it later on.
Next morning I got to go to Em's church (Kath you would have loved this place!) The whole service was really nice and relaxed, not at all what I'm used to with my "sit down, stand up, kneel, stand up" type services. Anyway, the Pastor, Rob, gave a really awesome sermon about the nature of evil and trying to overcome that evil through faith. It was a good time. And after church I got to meet some of Em's church friends, including Kelly, a fellow blogger (hi Kelly!). Then it was off to IHOP for some yummy breakfast (yay for beating the Church crowd) and then trying the whole DC thing again. Except this time it was a success! Rejoice!
We made it to Tinery and made a pit stop in a Whole Foods market. They had this recycled cigarette machine that they had converted into an "Artomatic." All of these artists had put their work (jewelry, poetry, photography) into cigarette sized boxes and you could buy their work for like $5. Granted, we didn't have $5 at the time, but it was still very cool :-P We took a looooooong hike down to the Washington National Cathedral to answer her homework questions. Our tour guide, Monica, was the best! She was a little Irish women with lots and lots of knowledge about the National Cathedral and all kinds of cool ones around the world. I was really impressed by this cathedral, especially how new it was. I was so used to the hundreds of years old type cathedrals that are tourist spots and not really in use except for special functions. But the National Cathedral was only finished in 1990 and is still very much in use. We walked into a choir practice at the end of our tour. Anyway, the building was amazing, and Monica was very helpful answering Em's questions (which no one could interpret as we think Em's teacher is on crack or something). After that we were both tired and it was reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy cold outside, so we hiked back to Metro and Em dropped me off home.
You would have thought by the puppies reactions that I had been gone f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!!! It was so cute....I was covered in puppy kisses and they trailed me around the house all night :-)
Does this post strike you as a laundry list??? LOL, I'm writing it before work so I'm trying to be quick :-P Em has sent me pictures, but I can't get them to open at work, so I'll have to post them later.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

It was awesome to meet you at church on Sunday. Thanks for the Hi in your post...it made me feel special :-) It sounds like you and Em went on to have a great day. I love the National Cathedral. Was it all decorated for Christmas? If so, I bet is was beautiful!

Hope you will visit us again!!

Kath said...

Sounds like an AWESOME weekend, can I come next time ;-) We'll have to visit next time I'm in town. May be some time in May... :-\

AM SO GLAD you had a blast!! POST PICS SOON!!

emyink said...

it WAS a fun weekend---a bit hectic...my family ran me thru the ringer...but ya know--it was all worth it :)
and having Lex there was a HUGE help...if you hadn't listened to me rant...I may have exploded :)

Kath said...

erm... I've only heard about one weekend, any other news?

emyink said...

yes---more updates PLEASE!
I wanna hear about the rest of Lex's life :)