Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Mardi Gras!!!


Now, I don't know if I am the only one, but I find it ironic that this year's Mardi Gras falls on the exact same day as the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day!? ;-p lol.

I suppose it can be seen from two sides. Women running around wasted out of their minds and flashing their boobs at men who are also wasted in exchange for beads is both pro and anti woman. Pro because we as women now have the right to actually, for one day and only in New Orleans, run around exposing ourselves. And anti because, let's face it, a guy totally thought up this "game" and is getting way more out of it objectifying the woman's boobs for a small token like beads in return. The women are participating of their own free will of course, but I find the whole thing more desperate for attention and approval then actually a healthy, confident attitude on the ladies' part.

NOTE: I wrote a whole rant about the death of the 1990's "girl power" in today's culture, but I had to delete it. I don't know yet how I feel about women's place in 2011.....

No comments: